Granted I know it is at least 55 degrees outside, and I know it is pouring poodles and persians (so you get 'some' leeway), but journalism girl (AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), put on some pants!!!! You do not need to wear a men's shirt and thigh-high hooker boots. You are (hopefully) NOT going to walk the boulevard!
Fishnets. And no, I'm not talking about the things guys use to catch fish. I'm talking about hose. Common knowledge has shown that fishnets can be trashy since they are seen often in a less flattering light, however, they are huge this season!
Last fall season, we saw the beginning of a major fishnet epidemic. I am NOT talking about the traditional showgirl fishnets; the fishnets I'm talking about are modified tights with cut-out argyle patterns or other patterns. These are cheap and well-made, and can be bought for around $6.
When wearing these I would suggest at least a knee length skirt or something close to it. If you go all-out on tights, then you want something more demure over them. If you went short, people might get the wrong idea. As for shoes, wear a cute flat (remember diamond patterns mean pointed toed shoes, round patterns- round toe) or a sexy boot.
It's that time again: Halloween. Now I know what you're thinking, "It's the one night of the year any girl can dress trashy and get away with it." This is pretty much true, but you don't have to be pegged as THAT girl. Many cute and sexy costumes come in lengths that are appropriate and will look decent and cute if you follow three main rules:
1. Don't pick anything too suggestive.
2. Don't wear a push-up bra. Tuck those puppies in.
3. SPANX. These genius little briefs will save you multiple times from multiple problems. Trust me, paying five bucks for these is a solid investment.
I think the thing to remember in any case is to wear what you are ultimately comfortable with. If you feel tacky, then don't go that route. I have found that most Halloween superstores have good selections of cute and appropriately sexy costumes, but expect to pay around $50 plus more for the extras.
As for the men,
get creative! Don't be that typical guy that lets his girl do all the work with the costume. If she is going full out, then at least slap on some guyliner. This is the one night of the year when you can be crazy fabulous and go all night. Seriously, the sky is the limit, and you can think of some awesome and creative things!
As in everything with your personal style, be original!
But in reality you should seriously stick to bows on headbands that do not resemble extra appendages. Ladies, if someone tells you your headband is twee, that does not make it cute. It means: "Please remove that God-awful thing and shove your mangled hair into a ponytail."
If you want to wear a headband, please follow the guidelines:
1. Wearing a headband if your hair is anything shorter than a bob, is redundant. Use styling serum.
2. Anything that sticks out more than an inch from your head is considered socially unacceptable and distracting. Trust me, you don't want to be known as that girl.
3. Looking like Hello Kitty is for 2 year- olds. Not grown women. Should you want to look like that angelic kitty, paint some whiskers on your face and call it a day.
4. The thicker the headband the longer and fluffier the hair should be; think Brigitte Bardot.
5. Crazy headbands (anything with feathers or extra accoutrement) are acceptable only if you know the statement you are trying to make.
6. A little hairspray goes a long way.
7. Bobbypinning your headband on defeats the purpose of wearing one.
It's that time of the year again. You know, when we all decide to make that awful error of wearing white after a certain time of the year. However this does not actually apply.
Most social circles would consider ivories and different shades of cream to be de riguer, not the faux pas you've been led to believe.
In fact, this season sees designers mixing whimsical ivories and neutrals with rustic colors to create chic and timeless looks. Look into Bottega Veneta for more details, but they pretty much some it up.
Look, if you want to wear white, go with a more muted shade of it. Unless you're a bride, then wear whatever the hell you want. :P